View Single Post
Old 06-26-2012, 05:46 AM   #6
dcdoorknob
Hall Of Fame

It isn't entirely clear to me, but which line are you talking about? Is the returner calling the serves long, or wide?

For me in doubles, the line parallel to the net/baseline, or long call, is primarily the responsibility of the returner's partner, so if it's that line that the returner is calling very tight and the partner is not seeing, then I think you've got a legitimate reason to be annoyed. The returner has a much worse angle to see that call clearly than the returner's partner, assuming the partner is playing up.

If it's the line perpendicular to the net/baseline, to me that's usually the returner's line to call. If I'm the returner's partner, I'm not going to overrule my partner on that line very often unless I'm just very sure it was a mistake. It's hard to see that line clearly from the net, the angle is just bad.

I do have a serve that I like in the deuce court that basically starts like it's going wide and then twists its way in due to the spin on it, so I can sympathize with occasionally having someone who isn't used to seeing that serve call it wide several times when I strongly suspect it is landing in.
dcdoorknob is offline   Reply With Quote