View Single Post
Old 06-26-2012, 06:51 AM   #19
blakesq
Professional

the less you worry about it ,the better time you will have. Worry about calling the balls on your own side of the net, and letting the other team call the balls on their side of the net. Otherwise, you will be angry/frustrated much of the time, and is that why you are playing tennis? On the other hand, if you are playing with CHEATERS, then simply don't play with them any more.

Also, if I were your opponents, and you were getting mad at me for not seeing your serves as in or out, then I have the perfect response "Serve the ball slower, and I can call them better!".

This reminds me, on occasion, against a big server, I may have a hard time seeing the ball in or out when served to my partner, so in that case, I have to consider it as Good. When my partner returns the ball, and the serving side just watches it and says "that looked out to us", I have to say, "I couldnt call it in or out, so we to play it as being good." If the serving team starts to get mad at us, I simply say "If you want me to make better calls on your serves, start serving them slower!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhacker View Post
Following a spell of hard graft on my serve which has delivered some extra pace, depth and placement I am increasingly being bothered by the plague of the opposing doubles partner who 'did not see' where my serve landed relative to the service line despite the fact they are were standing on the service line (ie perfectly placed with little else to do while their partner tried to return serve).

I have learnt to accept the quirk of iffy line calls by the opposing baseline player as I realise that it is very hard to call correctly when you are on top of the ball and that the net player is not best placed even if they do happen to be looking behind them. However, I am becoming increasingly frustrated at the frequency with which my new improved first serve is being called out by the receiver when my partner and I think it is good and the opposing net player 'did not see.'

I acknowledge that it is hard to call the service line as the returner on big serves and there is often an instinctive reaction to call a close to line serve which 'got you' out. However there is no excuse for the 'did not see' from their partner.
blakesq is offline   Reply With Quote