View Single Post
Old 06-27-2012, 07:44 AM   #19
barringer97
Rookie

Could someone help me out with this? I grew up in SoCal in the 80's and early 90's and I really haven't followed junior tennis since. But, in saying that, I now have a kid that is about to begin playing tournaments.

From the article:

Quote:
However, the new national junior schedule will limit players in the 14-18 age groups to a total of 512 opportunities to play outside their region. These 512 opportunities are spread across seven Level 1, Level 1A, and Level 2 event dates. That is an average of about 73 opportunities per event date.

In the existing schedule, there are between 2,304 and 2,432 opportunities for players to compete against opponents from outside their region. These 2,300+ opportunities are spread across twelve Level 1, Level 2, and Level 3 event dates. That is an average of at least 192 opportunities per event date.

In the 2014 schedule, however, only two events have as many as 128 opportunities, and they are concentrated in July and August. In the current schedule, the four National Level 1 and four National Level 2 events each have at least 128 opportunities. Three National Level 3 events each have 256 opportunities, and the summer National Level 3 event has 512.
1) I don't know what Level 1, Level 1A, and Level 2 are
2) 512 opportunities to play outside their region sounds like a lot. When I grew up (maybe it was because of SoCal), we mainly played local tourneys then advanced if you did well in sectionals.
3) He says now there are 2300+ opportunities...what does he mean? 2300 tournaments?

more:

Quote:
The USTA will be re-instituting the “Good Birthday/Bad Birthday” dilemma for national level juniors. A player born in July will always be the youngest player in the national rankings and national tournaments. Without full-sized national championships at times other than the July-August window, the USTA is retreating to the problems associated with “birth year” age control dates. Beginning in 2014, a September birthday will be treasured, while players born in July and August will pick another sport.
I'm pretty sure that was the case when I grew up, did they change that? I was a September birthday, so I somewhat remember being lucky.

Quote:
It is difficult to justify corralling all players within their regions – and then only allowing the very best players in the nation the opportunity to compete against out-of-region opponents.
This is how I remember it when I was young. It seems like the USTA is turning back the clock? No?

Quote:
The result is this: Strong players will have to travel farther at greater costs. Good players will be restricted to play the same players over and over again in their regionally mandated events. Lower ranked players will not get to play national events at all and, in all likelihood, will understandably lose interest in pursuing the game.
I totally disagree with this part. a) Strong Players will always travel. b) All players, good or great, likely will end up playing the same people anyways (look at the pro's, they play the same people monthly). c) lower ranked players shouldn't really be playing national events. I really don't see any benefit there. It might actually HELP them to keep their confidence up.