View Single Post
Old 06-27-2012, 01:17 PM   #6613
Feņa14
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by raging View Post
I know it is fashionable to blame the manager in English football(& probably most countries) but the players got the manager they deserved!
Put another way, England don't have the players to play possession football,
England played the only way they knew how & nearly stole the game from Italy on penalties.
I haven't seen or heard of an English team who have played outright possession football. Maybe in 1966 but even then possession was pretty even, I think?
Hodgson shouldn't be flogged for getting the most out of what he was given.
I think you should be glad he managed to get the team working together, this was one of the most professional tournament teams to represent England for quite a while.

Good luck finding the players to play possession football, it might take 10 years.
It has taken Germany 12! (they started in 2000)
Agree 100%

I thought Hodgson did ok, the atmosphere in the squad seemed better than it's been for awhile. It's clear we aren't a particularly good team, the stats about England having about the same possession that a Championship team does against a Premier League one doesn't really come as a surprise.

Hodgson did what he could with what he had. The only criticisms I have of him were his original squad, Downing should of been nowhere near the squad and Johnson should of been. Henderson shouldn't of gone either. I'd of played more of Oxlade-Chamberlain too, apart from that I don't think the manager got alot wrong, especially when you think he only had a week or two in the job before the tournament started.
Feņa14 is offline   Reply With Quote