View Single Post
Old 06-29-2012, 04:53 PM   #17
BreakPoint
Supernatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisaddict View Post
http://www.tennis.com/articles/templ...8505&zoneid=25

Federer said that while his opinion is nothing against Nadal on a personal level, it was good to see that upsets are still possible.

"I think 15 years ago you had matches like this so much more often on the faster surfaces, that a guy could catch fire and just run through you," Federer said. "Today it's virtually impossible because you make so many more returns these days and conditions are so much slower with the elements. Whereas it was just amazing to see that it was possible. Okay, he didn't play like that for five sets, but in the fifth it was just a joke. I was laughing because of his performance for 10 minutes after that. I couldn't believe that he pulled it off the way he did. Of course I do feel bad for Rafa because it's a tough loss; it's Wimbledon; it's the way things happen."

Shouldnt Fed be more classy ?

Before we launch a Fed vs Nadal vs Djoko war, please think how the forum would react if Novak or Nadal had said 'It is good to see an upset' if Fed lost to Julien B ?
Well, I was laughing too during that 5th set and it had nothing at all to do with Nadal. I was laughing because of the ridiculous winners that Rosol was hitting over and over again. I didn't think it was possible. But here was this guy doing it as if it was a joke on the tennis world, like -"Hey, this is easy, there's nothing to it, just hit a blazing winner on every shot!" It turned the established tennis strategy of waiting for your opportunity for an opening before going for a winner upside down. I'm sure that's what Federer meant. Rosol made tennis a joke because he made it seem too easy.

Oh, and yes, he's right about that upsets used to be much more common so yes, it is good to see them again.