View Single Post
Old 07-04-2012, 07:46 PM   #33
tenniscp
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeflonTom View Post
isnt the ustapd program supposed to complement college? so therefore the q about whether it was usta or college which produced a player is kinda moot

usta says 'go to college unless u regularly beating top 100 players n we'll give u extra support'
Maybe I truly misunderstood the purpose of having a USTAPD. I thought they were in place to help aspiring, talented juniors to transition into lower level pros and subsequently build them up or at least get them ready for the next step.

If you are telling me that their job is just to complement college, then they are doing that very well. I would bet that 95% of the kids that went through the PD did wind up in college.

In order for these juniors to be regularly beating top 100 players, as you claim, they have to be in a position to do so, i.e be ranked around 200-300 in the world. Now PD should be working on getting the juniors to the 500, 400, 300 level. Or even a step before that, transition juniors from the ITF junior level to the pro level of even 1000-1300 range and then, like many claim, the cream will rise to the top. The better and stronger ones will make a jump into the 500 range, and subsequently into the 300 range.

That is how you help produce a decent level pro and then if luck will have it, and the right choices were made in the selection process, one of them will maybe be a top 100 pro, and even more optimistically top 50, 40 , 30 and etc.

Of course, I may be missing something in the process and I don t mind being corrected or pointed in the right direction.

Last edited by tenniscp : 07-04-2012 at 07:49 PM.