View Single Post
Old 07-09-2012, 03:59 AM   #12
paulorenzo
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathaniel_Near View Post
I think you underestimate Fed. He made many truly staggering gets against both Nole and Murray in the semis and finals of Wimbledon. While he has been a little faster in the past, right now his movement is incredible and his footwork is so grounded, precise and active. In the semis against Nole his movement looked roughly on a par with Nole's and without the sliding and inaccuracies. I just wish he could find a *little* extra on the return. His forehand was glorious, so controlled and accurate but still explosive - not as explosive as it once was but his control and precision was as good as you could ever wish and his footwork to reach his forehands on time was amazing. That hooked crosscourt forehand on the full stretch that he was constantly missing in 2010 and 11, it's back and consistent and very very effective!

His backhand, while not the shotmaking machine it has been in the past, was hugely solid, reliable and consistent in the latter stages of this tournie. Also, the slice backhand was exceptionally reliable and his acute skidding angles were unusually consistent and precise, even compared to past years. There was just no place to go to against Federer in the semis and finals to gain consistent cheap points! Also the clarity of thought and mind tactically and spiritually from Federer, as well as his determination and focus, was outstanding. Last but not least, his net approaches were sensible and his volleying was often truly inspired. There was much to be positive about and indeed there has been for some months now. This is the confirmation of Federer's current rise and may it continue.
his foot work has been great this year, very precise and always looking to take advantage of it. his backhand has indeed looked great. i thought it already looked great against djokovic in the semis, but he was blasting it in rallies yesterday that were already 8,9 shots long. truly a sight to see. everything about that final was great for any fed fan. its as if the fruition of fed's desire to improve himself as a player all came together in that match.

i may have miscommunicated what i meant in my previous post. fed is playing so close to his prime right now, and even better in some aspects of his game (aggressive mentality, aggressive return games, and perhaps even better footwork than before) that it would be great to see him somehow regain his foot speed to truly be on level with his prime again. not necesarilly that he needs the extra footspeed in order to win, since he chooses to play more efficiently nowadays, but it would just be a very entertaining thing to see.