View Single Post
Old 07-11-2012, 09:18 PM   #56
Greg G
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Player View Post
The problem is that you are getting way too much instruction from people you have never seen play and that are not on the court with you.

All I can say is that my strokes have gotten very good from not thinking about the racquet hand at all and instead really focusing on my prep and using my offhand and hips to open up on time for the stroke. It is a lot less to think about and the result is that my strokes are a lot more reliable in match play.

To help with this I would suggest visiting this site:

http://lockandrolltennis.com/forehand/
Oh I watch his videos daily

To be fair, I did ask for advice, and so far it has been pretty spot on! The guys helped (and are still helping) me understand the nuances of the modern forehand, which are only painted in broad strokes on the lock & roll video.

Even before I stopped playing 20 years ago, my forehand was my weaker shot which frustrated me no end. I could place it, but really not rely on it in long rallies. I had reached the point where I would prefer the backhand on center hit balls. And I could not for the life of me hit a really good inside out forehand. The transition to angular momentum as a source of power has been quite an eye opener, and I am gaining confidence in it with each hitting session. I'm sure elements of my classic forehand will still be useful in certain situations- but it's nice to have a reliable forehand which I can use as a weapon.

I agree that eventually I have to get back to the point where I don't think about the minute details. I'm sure I'll get there eventually. Util then, it's nice to get advice from all you guys. Rest assured I do evaluate everything here with an open yet critical mind.
Greg G is offline   Reply With Quote