View Single Post
Old 07-12-2012, 08:46 AM   #18
TomT
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc1 View Post
Wouldn't it be fun if they had several small wood racquets only tournaments on different surfaces?
Yes, I think this would be fun to watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAY1 View Post
... I think the great players of yesteryear would have evolved with the game, the technology, racquets, balls, training and courts etc and be the same level as the top players are now with all the benefit's they have, I really do!
I agree that the great players of the past would also be among the top players today, but I think the dominant players of today are just a bit bigger and stronger than, and as quick and fast as, their predecessors. So I would give the edge to the current era players.

Quote:
Last week I went with some friends to play at my club and we took along the old Dunlop Maxply and the Wilson T2000 racquets to compare them with our racquets of today, Babolat Pure Drive and the Babolat Nadal racquet.
We all play to a good level (national level) so were able to judge pretty well.
The difference is massive! For a start if you don't centre the ball you miss it, hardly no sweetspot.
I agree, and I think this is one of the main reasons why players didn't generally hit the ball as hard in the wood racket era (harder swing = increased chance of hitting outside the sweet spot), and why stroke technique was a little different in the wood racket era.

Quote:
The racquets are all a minimum of 400 grams-that is heavy on your playing arm believe me.
The weight of the wooden rackets plus a higher of percentage of one-handed backhands produced, generally I think, a more pronounced difference in the size of a player's arms in the wood racket era, imo.

Quote:
We all agreed at the end of playing that anyone of us playing with a new Babolat would have beaten anyone of us playing with one of the old racquets.
So my conclusion is... Roger, Raffa & Novak would not have be better than Rod, Jimmy & Bjorn were with the old racquets.
Comments welcome please...........
As I mentioned, I think that the likes of Roger, Rafa, and Novak would, had they been born in the wood racket era, have dominated. Just because they're a little bigger and stronger, and at least as quick and fast as the great wood racket players.

But maybe an argument could be made that the current greats aren't as quick and fast as the wood racket greats.

Anyway, I enjoyed your comments.

Last edited by TomT : 07-12-2012 at 08:49 AM.
TomT is offline   Reply With Quote