View Single Post
Old 07-13-2012, 10:09 AM   #49
barringer97
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis5 View Post
Facts are:

1) There are only 4.5 scholarships for the men's team for tennis.

2_ There is more scholarship money for football or basketball.

3) Most likely, the scholarship money for tennis will be spent on foreigners than Americans.

4) There is a trend in tennis for men's tennis( sorry, I don't follow womens), and the foreigners are increasing every year.

Folks, your son should play tennis for the love of the game.

There is no return on investment here. You will far outspend on tennis than any money that would come back through scholarships.
Yeah, I get it. Still disagree.

first of all, I have a daughter and son.

For my daughter, I think there is a pretty solid chance that I can get her a ride.

But let's talk about my son.

First of all:

There is no freaking way he gets a full ride for basketball. I'm 6'1", my dad is 6'4", my wife's dad is 6'4"...so he could (?) be 6'3"? He is also white.

Not many (none) 6'3" white kids get scholarships for hoops. Not happening.

Football? Maybe (still less likely than Tennis), but I don't want his brain mushed so he isn't playing.

On the other hand, I can give them excellent instruction 4-5 days a week. The cost is up in the air. Obviously, it's free if I'm training them, but my time isn't free to me...but on the other hand, I'm spending time with them.

In general, I agree with what you are saying, but I disagree on how you believe that they have the same odds in other sports. That isn't true. They are both low, but my kids have the advantage of me in the house that other kids just don't.