View Single Post
Old 07-15-2012, 10:59 AM   #6699
PureAlph4
Semi-Pro

What does Rio Ferdinand have to answer for? A Twitter follower tweeted him to say, "looks like Ashley Cole's going to be their choc ice. Then again he's always been a sell out. Shame on him." Ferdinand responded with, "I hear you fella! Choc ice is classic. hahaha!"

The slur on Ashley Cole was made by a 3rd party, whereas Ferdinand has merely recognised the content, and acknowledged that he identifies with the euphemism. He hasn't made a statement, nor has he necessarily even endorsed the 3rd party's slur.

The FA are now in the difficult position where they have set precedent (Suarez) seemingly with guilt being determined with a relatively low probability of guilt ('on the balance of probabilities'), as opposed to the criminal magistrate's 'beyond reasonable doubt.' They now have to decide whether to uphold their own precedent, and apply the same benchmarks in relation to Terry (he may well fail to satisfy this test anyway, based upon the questionable evidence). Doubtless they will **** it up.

I personally don't have a problem with the players spouting off streams of profanities on the pitch, but I do think offensive vulgarities of any kind addressed to the officials should be penalised.
PureAlph4 is offline   Reply With Quote