View Single Post
Old 07-15-2012, 01:04 PM   #6700
Feņa14
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureAlph4 View Post
What does Rio Ferdinand have to answer for? A Twitter follower tweeted him to say, "looks like Ashley Cole's going to be their choc ice. Then again he's always been a sell out. Shame on him." Ferdinand responded with, "I hear you fella! Choc ice is classic. hahaha!"

The slur on Ashley Cole was made by a 3rd party, whereas Ferdinand has merely recognised the content, and acknowledged that he identifies with the euphemism. He hasn't made a statement, nor has he necessarily even endorsed the 3rd party's slur.

The FA are now in the difficult position where they have set precedent (Suarez) seemingly with guilt being determined with a relatively low probability of guilt ('on the balance of probabilities'), as opposed to the criminal magistrate's 'beyond reasonable doubt.' They now have to decide whether to uphold their own precedent, and apply the same benchmarks in relation to Terry (he may well fail to satisfy this test anyway, based upon the questionable evidence). Doubtless they will **** it up.

I personally don't have a problem with the players spouting off streams of profanities on the pitch, but I do think offensive vulgarities of any kind addressed to the officials should be penalised.
Well said, hard to argue with any of that. My only problem is the bit in bold, I think Ferdinand is at fault for acknowledging the tweet and then backing it up. To say he hears what he's saying and to laugh at a derogatory statement is just as bad for me personally. If someone says something racist and you verbally agree and laugh at it, I believe that's every bit as bad.

Last edited by Feņa14 : 07-15-2012 at 01:06 PM.
Feņa14 is online now   Reply With Quote