View Single Post
Old 07-15-2012, 02:25 PM   #125
Rob_C
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridatennisdude View Post
It's definitely doable and surprising how many folks don't get it still. The days of Capriatti, Agassi, etc turning pro in their early teens are pretty much over. College is a more viable option than ever to get quality competition before making the leap.

I dont have a tennis prodigy in my house, but if I did they would be enrolling for the spring of college tennis at a minimum. Unless they were to completely dominate, they'd dabble in the pros only during the summer and fall. The safety net of a near free education with free training is too much to pass on.

But, to each their own. College isn't an ideal environment for everyone.
I'm starting to doubt the value of college preparation in a way. I'm not sure if guys are improving the way they're supposed to. I was at the ATP qualies in ATL and I watched Pasha & Taboada play. Their backhands both needed improvement, along with their volleys. Both missed really easy sitter volleys in the match.

Taboada especially had a noticeably weaker backhand.

Steve Johnson, IMO, had a weak backhand in college, I havent seen him play probably since last summer, but, whenever I did, he predominantly sliced the ball from that side, which is a dead giveaway.
Rob_C is offline   Reply With Quote