View Single Post
Old 07-17-2012, 08:28 PM   #24
TaihtDuhShaat
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Val* View Post
I agree, I think his play just looked better, more controlled and measured, with his old Wilson racquet. Yes, he's been very successful in recent years with the APDGT, but how do we know that is because of the racquet, rather than in spite of it? I've been puzzled by his racquet choice ever since he switched, I mean, a APDGT may suit a noob pusher like nadal, but for an aggressive player like Tsonga who already has tons of power?

I think it worked very well for him on clay this year against Djokovic, but for his all-round game I think a Wilson suited him better. His game just looked wild in the semis against Murray this Wimbledon, and the racquet just looked kind of oversized for him.

That new wildness since he switched to the APD+ is not from a racquet change as much as a spec change.

His old wilson was very headlight; suiting his natural big hitting all court style.

His current specs are more HH making it more difficult to change the direction of the ball, more reliant on the opponent's shot with the benefit of more power.

He's now in essence using a more defensively spec'd frame.

I agree he was nicer to watch with the old specs.