View Single Post
Old 07-23-2012, 12:04 PM   #48
BreakPoint
Supernatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidasman View Post
You honestly think Steffi's relationship with adidas had nothing to do with Andre going that way? That seems highly unlikely. And you think adidas seeing a chance to snag one of Nike's main guys, even at the end of his career, was them "caving in"? That was a PR opportunity too good to pass up, not to mention the chance to support good being done by the school. The amazing part is that Nike was unwilling to pony up the money for Agassi's school, when they certainly made enough off of Andre's work for years and years, and adidas was. Good to see Nike is an all-American company in the greed department.
I doubt Nike made very much profit, if anything at all, off of Agassi over the years. They paid him like over $100 million over the years. I highly doubt Nike made over an additional $100 million in profit just because of Agassi. In fact, the tennis market has never been a big profit maker for Nike, hence the never ending rumors that they may shut down their tennis business. I think the only thing that has kept it alive all of these years is that the CEO Phil Knight personally like tennis, because it certainly hasn't been because of the incredible profits.