View Single Post
Old 07-26-2012, 08:20 AM   #44
pc1
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Lobb View Post
McCauley's list is grossly incomplete, and he does not include many results, such as the most important clay tourney of 1957 at the Hague, where Hoad won over both Rosewall and Segura on red shale, or Cairo where the same result occurred. These were both five-set marathons.
Kramer recalls that Hoad won two-thirds of the 1957 tour matches against Rosewall, which McCauley cannot locate. (I don't mean to denigrate McCauley's useful work.)
In big events, Hoad had the dominance over Rosewall in 1959, winning against him at Forest Hills, Roland Garros, Kooyong. Wembley was a less important event than these.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustard View Post
The Wembley Pro was a very big tournament.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyOne View Post
Dan Lobb,

You are rather stubborn with some of your opinions. As Mustard rightly said, Wembley was an important event, most probably the most important of the pros' calendar. Frank Sedgman once confirmed this when I asked him about the matter.

I think the Hague and Cairo tournaments were part of the 4 man tour.

I once have found also a 10:8 pro balance of Rosewall against Hoad (probably October 1957).

Joe McCauley did not count those matches he listed up but brought an official 14:14 record on December 3rd!

I don't trust Jack Kramer too much because Kramer always belittled Rosewall. For instance he wrote that Segura owned Rosewall till summer 1958
which is most doubtful.

Kramer only once praised Rosewall when he wrote that Muscles would have won four Wimbledons if open era had come earlier.

I appreciate your Hoad admiration. Hoad was extremely strong when "on" but please try to stay objective.
From what I understand and from what I've read Wembley was clearly the most important Pro Tournament.
pc1 is offline   Reply With Quote