View Single Post
Old 07-26-2012, 05:49 PM   #7
drakulie
Talk Tennis Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10ismom View Post

Drak....what do you think will create more pocketing and more spin friendly..... either to lower tension in main poly only or lower in both main and cross?

If you want more spin and better ball pocketing, put the nxt in the mains, and poly in the crosses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nglaser View Post
I always string the crosses 2 to 4 #'s less than the mains even when using the same strings in both, so do a lot of other people. You do this to equalize the tension across the string bed. Are yo saying you string a poly at the same tension you string a multi?? If so you are in the minority.
I strung over 5000 frames last year, and have already strung over 3000 this year, which includes stringing at pro tournaments. I sincerely doubt I'm in the minority. Majority of players from pro to weekend warriors pick a reference tension and stick to it (mains and crosses).

Funny thing is, that when someone wants a differing tension (mains vs crosses, or vice versa) and I ask them what they are trying to accomplish by doing this, they don't have a clue, and simply state, someone told them to string like this and they have stuck to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKfan1 View Post
I don't think I've seen people stringing mains tighter. It's always crosses 1-3 lbs tighter, because there is so much more friction pulling tension on the crosses that your actual tension will be much less than your reference tension .

If you have that much of a tension deficit in your crosses it will distort and shorten the frame.
From my experience, europeans, when they string with different tensions, typically string the mains 1-2 kg tighter than crosses.

Remember, the longest strings in the frame are the mains, which would make more sense doing it this way, if one wants to make the string bed more "proportional".