View Single Post
Old 07-29-2012, 02:16 AM   #23
Nathaniel_Near
Legend

Send a message via MSN to Nathaniel_Near

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowBall77 View Post
What does 'shotmaking' mean? Offensive tennis? Then yeah, Pete is better. However, Djoker's groundstrokes I think are better overall.
The eternal question, and it's hard to hone down the answer. I see it as the ability to hit many different and effective shots from many positions on the court. The great shot-makers can produce impressive and shocking shots from just about anywhere, whether it be of an offensive or defensive nature (most attach it to offence more than defence). The special shot-makers won't just have a tremendous array of shots, but also the ability to improvise on the spot and conjure up plays from unlikely scenarios that save their previously disadvantageous position in the rally. Sampras and Nole, whilst having solid general rally strokes in general (especially Nole), were/are also both very good shot-makers.

I agree that on the whole Nole's ground-strokes are superior to Pete's bu tthat all things considered, Pete is the superior shot-maker, though it isn't a landslide victory. Nole has many great things going for him, particularly impressive is his ability to change the angle of attack in the middle of a rally, as well as his outstretched backhands which still generate tremendous pace and danger through the ball.

Last edited by Nathaniel_Near : 07-29-2012 at 02:18 AM.
Nathaniel_Near is offline   Reply With Quote