View Single Post
Old 07-30-2012, 04:23 PM   #60
Dan Lobb
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyOne View Post
Dan Lobb,

Wembley 1959 was a tournament where the top pros had a weaker day. That happens from time to time. No reason for your zynism.

You underrate both Anderson and Segura. In my rankings Anderson was No 7 and Segura was No 5, tied with Trabert in 1959.

Remember that Little Pancho at 41 had match point against world champion Rosewall at Wembley in 1962 and that Anderson, also a first class player, had two matchpoints against Jimmy Connors in Jimbo's best year, 1974 when being 39...

You find the 1959 Wembley had a rather weak field. Then why did your darling not win but lose to old Segura who later lost to Anderson??
Now we get to the crux of it.
Hoad had been touring all season against Gonzales, and was clearly tired (evidenced by his loss in the Slazenger final to Cooper).
Gonzales was also tired, and didn't even make the trip to Britain.
The two top guys saved their best efforts for each other. Sure, the big guys have off days. In the LESS IMPORTANT TOURNAMENTS.
In the most important tournament of the year, Forest Hills, the top two players faced each other in the final. Surprise, surprise!
"Your" rankings do not agree with the final official rankings based on the money list, so, I am sorry to say, they do not bear any credibility with me.
Dan Lobb is offline   Reply With Quote