View Single Post
Old 08-02-2012, 04:45 PM   #126
FrisbeeFool
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limpinhitter View Post
Well, that pictogram was put in the book I copied it from as a model of perfect technique for students to emulate. The reference to "flipping" (not the best terminology), is there because that's what you have to do to hit a 1hb. Hoad's wrist action (it's really forearm action), may be more pronounced than some of todays players, but not all. It's not as pronounced as Federer's, Haas's or Gasquet's wrist action. It's just coming from a less low to high swing path. But, it's important to understand that that wrist action is EVERYTHING when hitting a 1hb. It is not merely ideal for emulating, it is essential. Without it, you can't hit a 1hb effectively, topspin or slice.
This advice runs contrary to all advice I've ever heard about the one-handed backhand. You should focus on building a consistent, repeatable stroke. Good shoulder turn, then get the feeling for hitting through the ball at contact, then extending forward in the direction of your shot, making sure not to open your front shoulder too soon. Opening up your front shoulder too early on the one handed backhand will inhibit consistency, power, timing, etc. To build consistency and make sure it's repeatable get a feel for good spacing between the ball and your body so you're not cramped. Try to take the ball in your strike zone every time with your racket face perpendicular to the ground.

When learning the one-handed backhand many people don't have a repeatable stroke. They don't prepare early enough and they're not in position. Then they will try to compensate by flopping around with their wrist. Using your larger muscle groups in the shoulders and legs will create a consistent repeatable shot. Consciously focusing on wrist action on the one handed backhand is a recipe for inconsistency and spraying the ball.

I'm not sure where the wrist action advice is coming from. That's something beginners do, when they haven't prepared properly and they don't understand how to hit a repeatable stroke. If you're late to the ball, slice it or bunt it back.

Limpinhitter, what is this wrist action you're talking about, and why is it the essential part of a one-handed backhand?? I've never heard it taught this way before. Where is this information coming from? Do you hit with a one hander yourself? How successful has this method been for you?

Last edited by FrisbeeFool : 08-02-2012 at 04:50 PM.
FrisbeeFool is offline   Reply With Quote