View Single Post
Old 08-04-2012, 01:22 AM   #38
vil
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limpinhitter View Post
You asked the right question: The simpler your stroke (the fewer unecessary variables), the better. One thing you can do to simplify your stroke and eliminate variables is to start your unit turn with your racquet and arm in their hitting position. That is, with the throat of the racquet in your right hand, the racquet pointing straight up, your wrist laid back toward you, and your elbow in and forward - close to your ribs and in front of the side seam of your shirt. (You currently have a "flying elbow"). When you make your unit turn, keeping the elbow in close to your ribs and and as close to in front of the side seam of your shirt as you comfortably can (in and forward), the racquet head moves back very close to your head, with the face of the racquet facing the side fence, and then the back fence. When you've completed your unit turn, your arm and racquet haven't moved (only your upper body has rotated), and you are ready to let go of the racquet with your right hand and turn back toward the ball leading with your hips, which pulls your shoulders, which pulls your arm and racquet (ie: kinetic chain), continuing to keep your elbow in and forward during the forward swing. It's such a simple motion.

PS: This is a long lesson that talks about a lot of things, but, this young girl's forehand technique demonstrates a lot of what I'm talking about starting at about 22 seconds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbwyL...LMIDCyV3x4-c&t
It's a great instructional video. I think I'm getting on the right track.
vil is offline   Reply With Quote