View Single Post
Old 08-04-2012, 08:45 AM   #123
tenniscasey
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisDawg View Post
tenniscasey, you left out the rest of my post! See below in bold italics, that's the rest of my post.

A cheater now that's an entirely different story, if thru the course of the match, I see blatant hooking, I would probably just walk off the court. I may be despised by my team or they may respect some integrity, "it is what it is".

I have no problem walking off the court as I've not had good experiences playing USTA leagues. If I were to try USTA doubles again, it would be a tournament where I can pick my partner. A partner that I compete well with and a partner that doesn't cheat. In USTA leagues you have captains that are likely to mismatch the doubles teams or stick you with a cheating partner or some lightweight that has to appease his opponents and be fickle with line calls.. I would have no problem walking off the court if I see for "blatant and obvious" hooking by my partner.
Sorry TennisDawg, I didn't mean to misrepresent your post. Thanks for clarifying.

Some visitors to this thread don't seem to understand that the only types of calls at issue here are the ones where you know your partner is wrong. (See Steady Eddy's post above.) The "what about close calls!" thing people keep bringing up is just a distracting strawman. I think (and hope) we'd all agree that you give your partner the benefit of the doubt unless the hook is obvious.

I've never played in a doubles-required league; the only doubles I play are with family and friends. It'd be my nightmare to be matched with an ultra-competitive cheater in a competitive scenario. I hope I'd be willing to speak up if my partner were hooking in that context, but I can see why it would be hard or intimidating for everyone to do that in real life if the circumstances don't encourage it.
tenniscasey is offline   Reply With Quote