View Single Post
Old 08-07-2012, 07:07 AM   #16
Limpinhitter
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeslo View Post
Hi:

Hope you can provide me with some advice concerning my issue.

Basically, after watching too much instructional videos, to try to add a little something to my otherwise solid forehand, i completely messed up my forehand.

My goal was to to improve racket head speed. One of the videos (coach kyrill on youtube) suggested tucking in the elbow (basically "glueing it" to my torso) to get the feel of the "snap" on the forehand. Later you of course release your elbow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TrKHZzetpc

Practiced it, and practiced it some more and stuck with it for a while. But now what's happening is that even in normal points i keep the elbow very close to my body and the racket head drop is insane. At the point of contact my 12 o clock racket head point is almost aiming at the ground, resulting in a very extreme low to high swingpath. It almost feels like my wrist stays bent for too long.

I will at least try to post a picture of my contact point to get a better understanding of what i'm talking about.
I'm not sure what you mean by "tucked elbow." Keeping your elbow in and forward during your unit turn back and forth, to contact, is one of several elements of a modern forehand. If the other elements are missing, then you can't measure how well this element, in isolation, is working for you.

The modern forehand is generated with upper body rotation and suppination/pronation of the arm, not independent arm movement. The young girl in this video has excellent execution of what I mean by keeping the elbow in and forward, especially the drill she does at about :22 seconds, and the shadow swings she does at 4:18.

You would do well to emulate her swing. It's a very simple swing. Hope this helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbwyL...LMIDCyV3x4-c&t

Last edited by Limpinhitter : 08-07-2012 at 07:14 AM.
Limpinhitter is offline   Reply With Quote