View Single Post
Old 08-07-2012, 09:56 AM   #44
DeanMacBaine
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by twos View Post
Sounds like you were there. If fw were a bunch of serious sandbaggers, I assume you think those other teams up there were too? I See that Houston won all the men's division. 4.0 4.5 5.0 and 5.5. That's pretty impressive. Is Houston the Mecca of sandbaggers too? I'm not being sarcastic, just wanted your take since you were most likely there.
I played against the Houston team last year. Same core group of guys and both of the guys I saw in doubles are still on the team that won this year. I think they beat me and my partner like 0&1 or 0&2. They both said that was the best match they've played in awhile so maybe they just had a good day. I know the lesser of the two guys would probably be the 2nd or 3rd best dubs player on our team (though last year he would have been the best). The other guy though, no clue how he was a 4.0. I even checked his stats after I saw they won Sectionals this year. This other guy is undefeated at 4.0, 2-1 at 4.5, and 3-1 at 5.0. I can understand playing up a level but playing up two levels and winning 75% of your matches??? I'll let you draw your own conclusions there. If he isn't bumped then the system is seriously broken.

Sometimes I wonder how well the USTA balances the ratings from different regions. Houston just brings some really good teams every year and yes, I do think there is some sandbagging. But I don't know those teams personally so I don't know what to think of their losses. I know Miller's team and I've seen them dominate Fort Worth and then when the ratings get to high, they go out and lose to 4.0s that would be lucky to get to the 2nd round of any 3.5 major zone.

Again, sandbagging goes on and we expect it to a degree. But this is a league coordinator actively ordering players to lose to keep ratings lower. That is what is so frustrating. Especially when his team wins the FW division every year. One good thing about it is that it is forcing the rest of us to get stronger as a team. We haven't resorted to sandbagging yet but in the end, it may be the way to go if we ever want a chance to compete nationally.
DeanMacBaine is offline   Reply With Quote