View Single Post
Old 08-07-2012, 09:07 AM   #45
DeanMacBaine
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik View Post
This is my area. I remember a few years back when I got back into tennis after a 10 year layoff. I called the league coordinator to find a 4.5 team.

I explained my situation and that I had played college tennis back in the day. Said coordinator wanted to make sure I was absolutely certain I was a 4.5 and not a 4.0. Now I know why

That said, the greatness of his 4.0 squads are getting exaggerated on here. I think he may have captained one 4.0 team to nationals a few years back. His team does usually make sectionals (but honestly FW is not one of the cities as evidenced by this year's sectional result). Can't comment on his senior exploits.

Do I think he goes the 'extra mile' to make the best 4.0 team. Yeah. Is it any worse than people/teams in other cities. No. I've seen way, way worse examples of tanking in Dallas.

But one the big problems with the league is what you just mentioned. You called him to find some 4.5 team options and he was basically recruiting you for his 4.0 team. Every year when he rolls out some new players, this is how he gets them. He gets the call as a League Coordinator but takes is as a Team Captain. If the player is a good 4.0, he nabs them. If not, he passes their info along. And if they are 4.5 and willing to self rate lower, he is all over it.
DeanMacBaine is offline   Reply With Quote