View Single Post
Old 08-08-2012, 04:33 AM   #5
SystemicAnomaly
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo View Post
I call BS on those Cortex thingies. Even the ad uses the word "vibration." But it's shock that you want to avoid, not vibration. I don't think any one frame can cause tennis elbow. But, I think certain types of frames can accelerate the onset of tennis elbow due to bad technique/fitness.

Stiffer frames will transmit more shock to the arm. Rubber gimmicks do nothing on shock.
It is true the string dampeners will reduce some string vibrations but will do nothing about frame shock. I suspect that the version of the Cortex system that maximizes comfort may reduce a little bit of frame shock in addition to reducing frame vibrations.

For a couple of years (nearly 10 yrs ago), I was using a very light racquet (under 10 oz). I believe that this racquet delivered quite a bit of shock to my arm and resulted in shoulder damage to my arm. Very light frames, in general, tend to produce more shock than heavier ones. Best to go with the heaviest frame that is comfortable for your arm.

Frame shock is related to shoulder crunch, elbow crunch & wrist crunch. Some racquets deliver quite a bit more of this shock to the arm than others.

http://www.racquetresearch.com/sevencri.htm#Shock
http://www.racquetresearch.com/seven...houlder Crunch

In general, stiffer frames tend to produce more shock than more flexible ones. However, this is not really the best criteria for determining the shock delivered to the arm. The Volkl V1 Classic has a rather high stiffness rating (~69) but is considered by many to be the most arm-friendly racquet on the market. OTOH, a number of users have reported some racquets with very low stiffness ratings (~50-60) that were not arm-friendly at all.

Last edited by SystemicAnomaly : 08-17-2013 at 06:07 AM.
SystemicAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote