View Single Post
Old 08-08-2012, 11:59 AM   #8
LuckyR
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeToPlaySets View Post
I have seen this mentioned a few timers in the forum.

I always used to dismiss "tennis elbow" as a kid in the 80s. I never got it, and would play 5 hours at a stretch.

Getting back into it, now I'm at the age where I can get little nagging issues. And, I hit harder than ever.

What types of rackets are bad for this? Which save your joints?
Is it the one's with extra dampeners? Cortex?

So, if Babolat's Cortex DOES absorbs some shock away from your own joints,
I can get on board with that. At 3.5, I am not good enough to need the more subtle feel.

The purist might not like Cortex, but for a weekend warrior, Cortex and others are probably a good risk/reward or cost/benefit proposition. Right?

Or, is it all BS?

A lot of issues.

First, racquets and strings (not to mention gadgets and doodads) do not improve TE. Tennis by it's nature is tough on elbows. Certain setups are less stressful, others are more stress on the elbow, but not playing tennis is the only way to improve TE. The goal is to be able to play tennis and keep the stress level below the threshold for causing pain.

Soft strngs, low tensions, flexible heavy yet headlight sticks are optimal.

Dampeners do nothing for TE.

Various racquet tech (beyond weight, balance and flexibility) may or may not help but my guess is their influence, if it exists at all, is minor compared to the above stats.

Stroke mechanics and time spent playing the game are probably the other big factors.
LuckyR is offline   Reply With Quote