View Single Post
Old 08-09-2012, 06:59 AM   #2
SlapShot
Hall Of Fame

I've been training for a 10 mile race in October, and had never been a distance runner before.

Diet-wise, I try to eat as close to balanced as I can. I'm guilty of liking bread and pasta a bit much, but I try to eat at least one salad per day, either for lunch or dinner, along with taking in an adequate amount of protein.

With regard to the running, I am currently on a rest week, but my training weeks are 4-5 days of runs. Mondays, I run a 5K, and I'm trying to push my pace for those - my current PR is around the 25 minute mark, and I'm hoping to do a sub-24 by the time it gets cold here. Wednesdays are variable between 4 and 6 miles, and I focus on keeping a steady pace that I can maintain for that distance. Thursday is speed work, either a 30 minute tempo run or 800 meter intervals, Friday is variable between 2 and 4 miles, and Saturday is my long run of the week (this week, it's 9 miles). Since I've been doing this routine, my endurance on the court has been much better, but I feel like my feet are heavier, so once I'm done with this race, I'll likely replace the longer running with sprints or footwork drills to make my feet get quicker again.

I limit my lifting to one day a week, and work medium weight rather than trying to push heavier due to the recommendation of my physical therapist that I focus on building functional strength rather than just putting up as much weight as I can.

This schedule doesn't leave much time for tennis, so I've been willing to sub tennis for running whenever needed. I usually only get to play 1 day a week, maybe 2 if I'm lucky. With my shoulder rehab, that's the right level to build up strength in my shoulder without overworking it.