View Single Post
Old 08-09-2012, 02:51 PM   #58
Dave M
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninman View Post
The question is, should such a person be allowed to compete against able-bodied athletes?

In my opinion, he should not. Many people question "is it giving him an unfair advantage?". That is totally missing the point. Sport is about being able to compare like with like. I.e. The best tennis player, the best swimmer and so on.

You cannot possibly say that a man running on blades is the same as a man running with normal legs. That very fact makes it unfair. What do you guys think?
I actually think you're wrong, I value your right to an opinion but can't agree with it at all. You made no argument why he shouldn't be allowed to compete against anybody because he achieved the qual' time and was therefore accepted onto his countries squad.
The blade he has as others have said are designed to mimic natural movement not give him an advantage, they've been looked into and were approved long before he actually achieved the times he needed for selsction.
The bit i put in bold, comparing like for like, where anywhere does it say that outside of gender and illegal substances? If that were truely the case we'd have lots of different pro tennis circuits, height, weight, arm span would all require different catagories even eye sight would need to be sorted out.If you look at the olympics, it's been a fair while since a skinny white guy has won a sprint event, should they have a seperate one?I think we'd soon be heading towards segregation and it's not somewhere we (well not me anyway) want to go.
Instead all that is required is you don't have any active assistance devices, you meet the required times set out by the governing body and you don't do drugs.
So lets all celebrate another remarkable athlete managing to get the chance of representing his country and not pick on somethign he or any of them have no choice on.
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote