View Single Post
Old 08-13-2012, 03:15 AM   #34
Torres
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennistim View Post
I have played a league match against another club where the server was hitting very soft, short 2nd serves. The same guy was also poor at judging the ball when at the net. Therefore, I hit a lot of balls straight at the net player. Most were hit from 3/4 court (just in from the baseline) so it wasn't too dangerous. If I was at the net, I aimed for their feet.

Although this play wasn't challenged in any way, I think some opponents would probably protest if it happened too often. This protesting could be used as a tactic.

What is the done thing at high club level?
Personally, I think deliberately targeting the net player, particularly if she's a woman, pretty lame. Simply because no match is THAT important at recreational level that you just HAVE to win under any circumstances.

I could understand if there was prize money or its livelihood at stake (for example, in the Wimbledon mixed dubs final, Myrini was firing balls directly at Robson) but at club level it smacks of 'big ego in small pond'.

I also can't see how you can really improve your tennis at club level playing that way by firing balls at a woman who can't return them. It's just false progression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostradamus View Post
female 5.0 players kind of suck
They would still double bagel you.

Last edited by Torres : 08-13-2012 at 03:19 AM.
Torres is offline   Reply With Quote