View Single Post
Old 08-14-2012, 07:17 AM   #13
NetNinja68
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosbydog View Post
My 11 year old has been taking privates once a week for a year now from the relatively best coach in our area. We have shlepped down to Florida a couple times for her to take 4 lessons with a name coach. She qualified for her section's sweet 16 tournament in the 10's after Playing a year but now in the 12s she can only beat mediocre or younger Players. After spending a ton of money on 3 lessons with a name Florida coacher his week she again beat a mediocre player and a 10 year old, 4th and 5th seeds, in a Local Florida tournament until she lost in the back draw semi finals to another mediocre player from Venezuela. So my question is when do you pull the Plug and move on? She is somewhat driven and does want to improve and says tennis is her sport. (she does volleyball too for the camaraderie but can't make the select teams) Is she washed up in tennis at 11? Is she doomed to mediocrity because we live in the ******* and there are no good coaches? Except the #1 G12 is from Ohio
It's really all relative. We as parents we want our children to be the best, yet just when we think they are, someone pops up around the corner who seems more talented or gifted at the same age. I have a 7 yr old daughter here in the Atl area who just started competing in the 10&U's 4 months ago and made it to the state L1 qualifier where she actually won some matches. Currently she is 38 in the state and I've found myself pressing her to execute more drop shots, volleys and slices in her recent matches only to abruptly put myself in check and celebrate her victories while minimizing her losses.

The toughest but most crucial challenge is managing your own expectations and remaining positive to your daughter. At the end of the day if your girl is not giving it real effort or focus and seems to have hit a plateau, don't be afraid to take some time away from tennis...I wish I had a silver bullet solution for you but unfortunately I don't. Whether you decide the time & $$ is not in balance with the results or not, in the end all will work out for the best if you properly manage your personal expectations...Good Luck!