View Single Post
Old 08-14-2012, 01:34 PM   #7
r2473
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Daddy View Post
While trying to build an interval training regimen into my workout program, I learned that people may actually overtrain (or under-recover) when doing interval training. Because interval training incorporate anaerobic phase, you need time to recover from it, which means one or two sessions per week of interval training would be recommended.

That got me thinking. People play different styles of tennis, of course. Some recreational players play it almost like a cardio. But for the vast majority of even recreational players, I think tennis employs a plenty of anaerobic phases, much like interval training. If so, shouldn't that affect the frequency of tennis matches (not tennis lessons or clinics) that you play? By employing the same logic for interval training, wouldn't two matches per week be more than enough?
So my answer is, if you truly play your tennis in the anaerobic zone, then once or twice is all you can handle. But I really, really doubt you are playing most of your points at 80-95% of your max heart rate. When I wore a monitor playing I never got into the 170+ bpm zone. Most rallies were played between 110 and 140 bpm (the aerobic interval zone).

So, find a heart rate monitor and decide what range of intensity you play at.

http://www.active.com/fitness/calcul...heartrate.htm#

Last edited by r2473 : 08-14-2012 at 01:39 PM.
r2473 is offline   Reply With Quote