View Single Post
Old 08-15-2012, 07:01 AM   #12
r2473
Legend

^^ It all becomes a little academic after a while I guess trying to define exactly what is anaerobic vs. aerobic when it comes to tennis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Daddy View Post
While trying to build an interval training regimen into my workout program, I learned that people may actually overtrain (or under-recover) when doing interval training. Because interval training incorporate anaerobic phase, you need time to recover from it, which means one or two sessions per week of interval training would be recommended.

That got me thinking. People play different styles of tennis, of course. Some recreational players play it almost like a cardio. But for the vast majority of even recreational players, I think tennis employs a plenty of anaerobic phases, much like interval training. If so, shouldn't that affect the frequency of tennis matches (not tennis lessons or clinics) that you play? By employing the same logic for interval training, wouldn't two matches per week be more than enough?

But I think to answer the OP's question, playing multiple tennis matches each week and working in a track interval session should present no over-training problems IMO as a tennis match is a far cry from a proper hard interval session.

Basically, I don't think tennis and hard track intervals are really very much related training-wise.

Last edited by r2473 : 08-15-2012 at 07:11 AM.
r2473 is offline   Reply With Quote