View Single Post
Old 08-15-2012, 07:29 PM   #193
Cheetah
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limpinhitter View Post
FYI, the term "flying elbow" is a golf term. Jack Nicklaus had a flying elbow - his right elbow, especially when he was younger. To my knowledge, I am the first one to apply it to tennis. I have never read or heard anyone else apply that term to tennis other than me.

A flying elbow occurs when a player, employing independent arm swing from the shoulder (irreconcilable with a modern forehand), raises the elbow up and away from the body in the backswing, and snaps the elbow back down in the forward swing. Lendl and Sampras did that. So did Edberg and a few others. None of the top pros do that as a primary forehand today. Some may lead slightly with the elbow on the backswing, but, that is not optimal, IMO. The time to lead with the elbow is on the forward swing, not the backswing.
Yes i know it's a golf term and i did say 'after separation' which means the arm is now moving independent of the body. If you look at sampras / lendl at the end of their takeback the elbow is back and the head of the racquet is in front of the elbow ie closer to left arm say. Pro today have elbow back but racquet head is behind the elbow.

Every male pro leads with the elbow. I've posted a lot of vids in this thread. They all lead w/ the elbow. I asked you to show me a vid of even one that doesnt.

If you hold the racquet w/ 2 arms in ready position and do a unit turn w/ both hands on the racquet how is it possible to not lead w/ the elbow?