View Single Post
Old 08-19-2012, 10:54 AM   #136
mad dog1
Hall Of Fame

Default Thanks Luxilon & TW!

Full set or hybrid: Syn Gut/Poly Hybrid - Gosen OGSM17 Natural / Luxilon 4G; the 4G string had literally no stretch when I pulled tension.

Tension used for playtest: 50 / 46 strung on an electronic constant pull machine.

Regular string set up: Discho Iontec 1.25 48#

Racquet brand and model used for test: Head PT280 18x20

Power of test string: low; there’s no free power from 4G. you’ve got to have a full swing and good racquet head speed to get any pop from this string setup. (4 of 10)

Feel: although power was low, the feel was very good. (7 of 10)

Spin: wow. Given that poly generally provides better spin, I was surprised that 4G doesn’t do anything to in the spin dept. Even a full bed of syn gut provides higher spin levels than this setup. Balls that looked like they would sail long did land out. Very low spin capability (5 of 10)

Comfort: comfort was surprisingly good given the lack of stretch during stringing. (7 of 10)

Durability: since I tested this as a cross, durability isn’t an issue. The syn gut mains will break long before the 4g crosses.

Tension maintenance (how long before it became too loose or unplayable): so far, I’ve hit with this string job for about 60 mins and the tension seems to be pretty stable. I'll probably cut out the strings because i need more spin and depth control so i won't be able to track the tension loss over time.

Control (predictable trajectory? performance on different strokes and swing speeds?): Directional control was very good, but depth control wasn’t since spin was lacking. Many of my groundstrokes landed long. With the low power and low spin of this string setup, I had to keep the racquet head speed high to avoid hitting short balls that could be easily attacked. As long as the swing speeds were high, the flatter balls had plenty of pace and landed deep.

Compare to the string you use most often: Compared to Iontec, this setup was lower in power. Directional control was comparable, but wasn’t as good controlling depth. comfort was approximately the same. I think I get better feel w/ Iontec.

Tension recommendations (after hitting it, would you recommend a different tension? Why?) the tension I chose feels right on target for me. I wouldn’t string the other half any differently.

Summary: List 1 or 2 primary likes and dislikes. Likes: Very good directional control and good comfort. Dislikes: Lack of spin made it difficult to control shot depth. Overall, i'd rate this string 6 of 10. Feel and comfort wasn't enough to make up for the lack in spin and depth control.

Last edited by mad dog1 : 08-19-2012 at 11:37 AM.
mad dog1 is offline   Reply With Quote