View Single Post
Old 08-20-2012, 08:34 PM   #245
Surecatch
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindysphinx View Post
Congratulations?

My point is that if you are telling folks that you are a 5.0 (or 4.0 or 4.5) based on what the coaches and directors of your league are telling you and not based on a USTA computer rating . . . well, that is not accurate.

You may in fact have skills that would allow you to be a computer-rated 5.0, but that doesn't mean you should claim to be a 5.0. 'Cause without that actual computer rating, you're just guessing.

Frankly, the problems I am describing are more likely limited to those who are 4.5 and below. There aren't many USTA league playing opportunities for 5.0s, so that does tend to be a different orbit.
The rub to this is that there are thousands of very active tennis players that have no USTA rating and aren't a member. Like myself. But I am very active in the local tennis community and in things like these forums where people speak the language" and you tend to get the question often..."what's your rating?". Now technically, I'm not rated, but I play in a "non-sanctioned" (I dislike that term in this context, btw) league in what is called 3.5 singles, and I do fair in it. Am I wrong to answer their question by saying I'm 3.5?
Surecatch is offline   Reply With Quote