View Single Post
Old 08-21-2012, 11:21 AM   #151
Nuke
Hall Of Fame

Full set or hybrid
Hybrid, with Gosen OG Sheep Micro crosses.

Tension used for playtest
Mains & crosses at 55 pounds.

Regular string set up
Usually Topspin CyberFlash or Tourna Big Hitter Silver (regular and rough), with OGSM crosses at 55 pounds.

Racquet brand and model used for test.
Prince Warrior OS.

Power of test string
Lower powered than I'm used to. Sure, polys are expected to be relatively low powered, but this had less pop than other polys I've been using lately. I definitely was serving slower than usual (although with better control) than normal. Really need to keep the swing speed up with this string to get pace and depth on the ball.

Feel
A very muted "dead" feel from this string. Crisp, and not mushy. Not too harsh on the arm (relatively speaking, for a poly). Nice feel and accuracy on volleys.

Spin
I had to work a bit harder for really big spin with this string than my usual setup. It wasn't terrible, but this wouldn't be your first choice if you were looking for easy access to spin. Middle of the road for spin, I'd say.

Comfort
Relative to other polys, this was OK for me. I didn't get a lot of harsh vibrations on mishits, and I didn't experience any painful flare-ups (yeah, I've had some arm problems in the past). No saying how this would behave over the long haul, but for the duration of the test, it was just fine.

Durability
Seems pretty good over the six hours (three hitting sessions) I used it. Not much notching noticeable, and I'll probably use it a few more times this coming weekend, but I didn't want to wait until the deadline to post my review.

Tension maintenance (how long before it became too loose or unplayable)
It's holding up OK after six hours. Maybe loosened up a little, but still playing well. I noticed on stringing it up that this string had absolutely no stretching at all on the machine.

Control (predictable trajectory? performance on different strokes and swing speeds?)
This was the string's best quality for me. In my first outing with it, I hardly missed a first serve, and was placing baseline shots very accurately. I could have used a bit more power, but it was surprising how accurate my shots were with this string. Very controlled and predictable.

Compare to the string you use most often.
The Luxilon beats Cyber Flash on directional control and comfort. The CyberFlash has a bit more power and spin. It's sort of a draw, although the Luxilon will almost certainly be more expensive than the CF.

Tension recommendations (after hitting it, would you recommend a different tension? Why?)
I'll probably string the other half set a bit lower, at 50 pounds, to see if I can get a bit more pop out of it.

Summary: List 1 or 2 primary likes and dislikes.
Loved the control. Not so much on the lack of power and just-average spin (for a poly).