View Single Post
Old 08-22-2012, 07:54 AM   #156
vsbabolat
Legend

Full set or hybrid - Hybrid of Babolat VS Gut in mains and 4G in the Crosses. Strung at 55/48 lbs.

Regular string set up Babolat VS gut strung at 55lbs

Racquet brand and model used for test the HEAD IG Prestige Mid.

Power of test - I thought the power was good. I thought I hit the ball just as hard but with more spin and control than my regular setup. I did notice a bigger drop off in power when hit outside of the sweat spot.

Feel - good feel. I don't like vibration or that metallic ping sound. My racquet made a good thud and no extra vibration compared to my regular setup.

Spin - I got more spin than my regular setup. I have been a natural gut player. I had resisted changing to a poly. It was a refreshing how much more spin I got without changing technique.

Comfort - Good comfort. No extra shock or vibration when compared to my regular setup. The stringbed did feel firmer. But nothing uncomfortable.

Durability - The gut did not last long. The mains broke within 3 days. I cant comment on the 4G because of how short the gut lasted.

Tension maintenance (how long before it became too loose or unplayable) For the 3 days the gut lasted tension maintenance was great. There was no significant drop off of tension.

Control (predictable trajectory? performance on different strokes and swing speeds?) - It was very predictable. I had much more control than my regular setup.

Compare to the string you use most often - I felt I had much more control on my forehand with the 4G. Especially on highballs above my shoulder and when I'm inside the court being aggressive or hitting approach shots.

Tension recommendations (after hitting it, would you recommend a different tension? Why?) I though I had played with a good tension.

Summary: List 1 or 2 primary likes and dislikes. I am a neophyte in the world of poly strings. I would defiantly stay with the hybrid setup. My main complaint was how short the gut lasted in this setup. I liked the control and spin combination I got. I will try the reverse setup and see how the durability is.