View Single Post
Old 08-22-2012, 08:23 PM   #162
Laney Tennis
New User

Full set or hybrid - Full set used

Tension used for playtest - 57lbs

Regular string set up - Tourna Big Hitter Blue Rough 16g mains/17g cross

Racquet brand and model used for test - Wilson Pro Staff Tour 95

Power of test string - Compared to other polys out there, this was medium to low powered. One needs to have a medium to fast swing speed to take advantage of its characteristics. Players with low swing speed will have problems with balls coming up short.

Feel - This string has the typical soft co-poly feel, dead, muted, no crisp to speak of but very solid. It took a little getting use to but once I've adjusted, I found myself gaining confidence in hitting all shots. Feel on volleys were solid.

Spin - The spin potential is average or slightly above average. My usual setup is BHBR, a very spinny string and sometimes I would complain that I am getting too much spin. Change in trajectory is huge, the first half hour with this I was struggling and hitting everything out. Once I flattened out the trajectory a bit, the shots went in nicely and I was back to my old self. In a strange way I prefer this trajectory more than my old one because it allows the ball to penetrate more.

Comfort - This string is excellent in the comfort category, unlike the Alu Power and Rough this one is very comfortable, easy on the arm, off center hits were very forgiving as well. Initially I felt this soft co-poly was almost a bit too soft, there were instances where the hits felt almost bubble gum like, the feel was so deadened best I can describe was like hitting with bubble gum. Once I got used to it everything was fine. The string is soft but very solid at the same time, if you hit it cleanly you will be rewarded.

Durability - Durability is above average and much better than Tourna's Big Hitter Blue Rough. I will break BHBR 17g in less than 2hr, thus I'm using 16g mains/17g cross. After a few hit sessions the notching on the 4g was significantly less than BHBR.

Tension maintenance (how long before it became too loose or unplayable) - This is the one that baffles me. At the end of my second hit session, the strings moved around so much I thought it was about to break. Typically this is a sign of tension loss and string is about to break but after checking the notches, it still had enough to continue. I straightened out the strings and continued to hit with it and it was fine.

Control (predictable trajectory? performance on different strokes and swing speeds?) - Control seems very good on serves, very predictable and provide lots of confidence. Once I got to ground strokes I was a bit confused. Shots I hit went everywhere, some went in some went out, it was all over the place. Then I realized what the issue was, I cannot use the same trajectory as I do with BHBR, with this one I had to flatten the trajectory a bit because the spin is less and the power is low. Once I adjusted everything was fine. This string is all about control, once I got dialed in I can really appreciate the engineering/design behind this. Power was low enough to allow players to take a full stroke, spin was good enough to bring the ball in play but not overwhelming to the point where it slows it down. It gives a very controlled penetrating ball flight. I like it!

Compare to the string you use most often - This is a difficult one, 4g and Bhbr each has its unique attributes. Bhbr I can hit with mega topspin and huge margin of error, downside is too much spin slows the ball down. 4g shines with its arm friendlyness, control oriented stringbed, very penetrating ball flight, and good durability, only question is the price. Again, this is a string for players with medium to fast racquet speed.

Tension recommendations (after hitting it, would you recommend a different tension? Why?) - I would recommend people to string this at the tension they normally string co-polys then adjust it from there. This string is in line with the latest generation of co-polys where it is soft/comfortable enough so it does not do damage to the arm/elbow. This way it can target a larger audience.

Summary: List 1 or 2 primary likes and dislikes. - Although it takes a bit of getting used to at first, but once I am in tune with this string I really enjoyed the solid feel it gives when striking the ball. The ball flight/trajectory is very penetrating and great for singles play. Volleys had good feel and very solid. Similar to how racquets can be categorized as "player's racquets" I would say this is a "player's" string. It is very control oriented, precise and accurate. The more I hit with it the more confidence I gain, just get better and better.

A couple of things I would recommend would be, add little more "crisp" to it, just a bit, I know its a give and take but this one is almost a bit too soft. The other thing is the tension aspect, the strings started to move on me "wildly" on the 2nd hit session, not sure what the deal was but that needed to be fixed.
Laney Tennis is offline   Reply With Quote