View Single Post
Old 08-23-2012, 09:25 AM   #10
Misterbill
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny022593 View Post
I contacted my coach who contacted the AD of my school. He told her to tell me that "There is a rule about that and he should look it up and figure it out." That is paraphrasing, but yeah.

Thank you very much for the link though.
So you are saying that at Rochester Institute of Technology, if an athlete has a question about NCAA compliance, the AD advises the athlete to come to a determination about legality on his own? Or maybe it was unique that just you got the brush-off.

Even for a D3 school that doesn't award athletic scholarships, the first word that comes to mind is "appalling".

At D1 programs that I am familiar with, the Compliance Director convenes a "Compliance Team Meeting", or whatever, prior to the start of practice to go over rules and answer questions. My experience is that athletes are advised and encouraged to contact the Compliance Department whenever they think there might be the remotest possibility of an issue.

For all college athletes out there, if you think there might be an issue, get clearance from the Compliance Dept. If the AD tells you to buzz off, don't engage in the questioned activity............and be prepared for your program, I don't know when, but someday, to suffer compliance problems
Misterbill is offline   Reply With Quote