View Single Post
Old 08-23-2012, 10:44 AM   #21
tennis_tater
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posture Guy View Post
The other thing I did in all of this was to use our own (Egoscue) stuff to really insure that the position of the ankle to the knee to the hip was sound, and that this kinetic chain was intact and functioning properly. Too complex a concept to delve into on a message board, but here's one way to think about it. Standing in front of a full length mirror wearing shorts and no shoes. Orient yourself head on to the mirror. Now, close your eyes and march in place for 20 seconds. Then with your eyes still closed, come to rest where your feet feel they naturally want to be. Now open your eyes. Then observe a few things...

1. Are you still facing head on to the mirror or did you rotate clockwise or counterclockwise?

2. Do your feet point straight, or out to the side? Do they do the same thing on both sides, or different?

3. Do your knees point the same direction as your feet?

4. Are your hips level?

5. Are your shoulders level?

These are some simple postural tests you can give yourself. If any of these are off, you're compromised and that will also increase strain on some of your muscles. Getting the body back into sound postural position is a fundamental prerequisite for optimizing athletic performance.
Unfortunately, I had numerous instances where I popped my left calf playing tennis last year. Three times popped it on the tennis court - first one was severe, the last two more minor strains. After doing PT, was discharged last November, and haven't had problems with the left calf since.

However, earlier this year, out of nowhere, I suddenly began having issues with the right leg - right calf, IT, and hamstring "discomfort" and/or weakness. While I haven't 'popped" the right calf, anytime I play tennis, the right calf feels "tighty" and and very achy/tender the days after. It's a little different from my left calf strains last year in the since that there has never been an event during the tennis matches where I had a "pop," had to quite playing, and had trouble bearing weight on the toes immediately after like I did when I strained your left calf.

After I first began having issues earlier this year with the right, I decided to hang up the tennis racket for a few months and decided I was going to use a couple of months to implement a corective posture execise program, which included leg strengthening/core stregthening program with a trainer, in the hopes of finally putting an end to the recurring calf issue. After doing the program for a few months, I finally decided to go out and try and play again. However, two matches in, the issues with the right calf returned post-match - extremely tight, dull, achy feeling. After undergoing some ART therapy on the calf this week, the therapist was able to pin-point the spots on my innner right gastroc and, after doing a gait analysis, he noticed that my right foot, for whatever reason, has over pronated and he opined that this over pronation is now causing hyper stress on my inner right gastroc and possibly other issues on up the leg.

When I asked the therapist what I could do to correct the issue, he mentioned doing some exercises for the arch of the foot (which I couldn't do) and adding some ankle exercises to the rest of my corrective exercises. When I asked about orthodics, for whatever reason, he didn't seem too keen on gonig that route.

All that being said, has anyone with over pronation had calf issues? If so, what have you done, if anything, or can you do, to correct this issue?

Also, Posture Guy, I have read many of your posts and see you have referenced a book by Egoscue many times. Does that book contain the exercises that you used to make sure everything was sound from "your ankles to you hip?"
tennis_tater is offline   Reply With Quote