View Single Post
Old 08-23-2012, 10:52 AM   #19
BobbyOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NadalAgassi View Post
Having Rosewall out of the top 10 is plain crazy. The guy was a top 3 player for 20 freaking years, nobody has ever come close to that or probably ever will. He was also the games dominant player for 4 or 5 years, as long or longer than Federer. You have him below Agassi, Lendl, and McEnroe, LOL!

Also while I love Agassi there is no merit to him being above Tilden, Lendl, McEnroe, or Connors. Honestly I cant see how he can possibly be in the top 10. Talent wise he should have been, but he didnt have the career.
I respect you as the only poster here apart from me who ranks Rosewall among the top two. Thanks for your expertise.

But I must contradict a bit. Even as a Rosewall admirer I find 20 years among the top three a bit exaggerated. In my rankings I give Muscles 16 years among the top three and I concede that Gonzalez (if we yet consider his two off-years in 1962/63 where he would most probably among the top three) was also top three for 16 years.

Even though Rosewall was the top player for only three years, we also can argue that he was a Co.- No.1player for several other years: 1959 (8:4 head to head against Gonzalez), 1960, 1964 (winner of the long world tour), 1965 (two pro majors won), 1970 (clearly better than official No.1, Newcombe) and 1971 (winner of two big tournaments that were probably stronger than FO and US Open; SF at Wimbledon).
BobbyOne is offline   Reply With Quote