View Single Post
Old 08-23-2012, 12:45 PM   #23
tennis_tater
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas Tennis View Post
Pronation of the foot involves how the bottom tends to interact with the ground, its tendency to tilt.

Looking down at your feet, how much do your feet point outward as if your knees were turned out? I am not sure how to measure this. For myself I sort of lift the feet up and down in a relaxed manner finally put them down in the most naturally feeling way. I can see that my feet point out. I check walking also.

I recently looked at people walking towards me on a sidewalk. It was a revelation. Their feet were often pointing out. Typically the younger people were more likely to have their feet pointing straight ahead and the older people more likely to have outwardly turned feet. I believe that this posture issue might result from tight hip muscles or other muscles. Tight Piriformus? I'm not knowledgeable in this subject but I believe that if people's feet point outward it may stress everything and especially the knee and foot. There are other similar posture problems.

By "PT" did you mean a 'physical trainer' or a medically trained 'physical therapist' (terms as used in the USA)?

Posture issues are very complex and not often emphasized. You need to find a highly qualified Dr, specialized, to examine you and evaluate your posture.
I walk with my feet pointed straight. But I do have over pronation on my right foot now, and I do bear more weight on the right side of my body. This may have been a result of the multiple injuries to the left calf last year...maybe resulted in me shifting weight to the other side to compensate for the injury...and then in turn led to the leg muscles weaking/over pronation of the right foot...which has now led to hyper strain on my right gastroc.

All that aside, my feet are pointed straight and I have issues. I see others who walk with their feet pointed out like a duck, yet they seem to not have the issues I have.

Re: PT, I was seen by a medically trained physical therapist who addressed my left calf issues on three separate occasions last year. RICE, stretching, ASTYM, leg strengthening. The three different sessions went 8-12 weeks.

The last three months, I have been working with a "holistic" personal trainer at a facility that focuses on corrective exercises. They did a "posture evaluation" at the outset, along with a recent gait analysis, and ART therapy (similar to ASTYM without the tools).
tennis_tater is offline   Reply With Quote