View Single Post
Old 08-23-2012, 01:23 PM   #24
Chas Tennis
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis_tater View Post
I walk with my feet pointed straight. But I do have over pronation on my right foot now, and I do bear more weight on the right side of my body. This may have been a result of the multiple injuries to the left calf last year...maybe resulted in me shifting weight to the other side to compensate for the injury...and then in turn led to the leg muscles weaking/over pronation of the right foot...which has now led to hyper strain on my right gastroc.

All that aside, my feet are pointed straight and I have issues. I see others who walk with their feet pointed out like a duck, yet they seem to not have the issues I have.

Re: PT, I was seen by a medically trained physical therapist who addressed my left calf issues on three separate occasions last year. RICE, stretching, ASTYM, leg strengthening. The three different sessions went 8-12 weeks.

The last three months, I have been working with a "holistic" personal trainer at a facility that focuses on corrective exercises. They did a "posture evaluation" at the outset, along with a recent gait analysis, and ART therapy (similar to ASTYM without the tools).
Next issue to research - What occurs when you bear more weight on one side - maybe your gluteus medius is tilting your pelvis slightly to relieve one side? Was it weak before your first injuries? Did it get weak for your last injuries? Did you do exercises to strengthen your gluteus medius.

You can research the gluteus medius and the Trendelenburg test

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trendelenburg%27s_sign

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trendelenburg_gait

I believe that the Trendelenburg is a very basic posture test and you probably have been examined already. ?

Are you already doing exercises to strengthen your gluteus medius? Clamshells, Firehydrants, Monster Walks, all with resistance bands, etc.? The gluteus medius gets weak in some tennis players, I guess that they don't use it enough. ?

I've had experience with just a few of many possible injuries and posture issues. But I believe that they are common posture issues.
Chas Tennis is online now   Reply With Quote