View Single Post
Old 08-23-2012, 04:26 PM   #27
Posture Guy
Professional

Send a message via ICQ to Posture Guy Send a message via Skype™ to Posture Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis_tater View Post

All that being said, has anyone with over pronation had calf issues? If so, what have you done, if anything, or can you do, to correct this issue?

Also, Posture Guy, I have read many of your posts and see you have referenced a book by Egoscue many times. Does that book contain the exercises that you used to make sure everything was sound from "your ankles to you hip?"
I started with that book ("Pain Free") but quickly realized that I had more issues than I felt the book could successfully address, and that my situation was somewhat complex, so I started making the 3 hour drive to get to the San Diego clinic for personal therapy. That's what I used to restore postural balance and functional integrity.

Re over-pronation, that will absolutely cause calf issues, particularly to the medial (inside) portion of your calf complex. But from my clinical experience, pronation or supination is rarely a foot/ankle problem, per se. It's almost always the hip putting the foot into a compromised position. To see this at work, stand up in bare feet wearing shorts so you can see your shin bone and your knee. On that one leg, stand in an overly-pronated position, so the outside of your foot is almost coming off the ground. Now, watch your shin bone and knee closely as you come out of that and settle the foot more evenly into the ground. See what just happened? Your entire leg rotated from the hip.

People tend to think (including many podiatrists) that pronation or supination is simply a foot problem, and that the answer is to use orthotics to 'shim' up the foot back into a more neutral position. That will invariably and inevitably cause more problems than it remedies. The problem is not that the foot is tilted incorrectly. The problem is WHY the foot is tilting incorrectly, and that problem could be many different things. Impossible to tell without a thorough assessment.