View Single Post
Old 08-24-2012, 12:47 PM   #28
tennis_tater
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posture Guy View Post
I started with that book ("Pain Free") but quickly realized that I had more issues than I felt the book could successfully address, and that my situation was somewhat complex, so I started making the 3 hour drive to get to the San Diego clinic for personal therapy. That's what I used to restore postural balance and functional integrity.

Re over-pronation, that will absolutely cause calf issues, particularly to the medial (inside) portion of your calf complex. But from my clinical experience, pronation or supination is rarely a foot/ankle problem, per se. It's almost always the hip putting the foot into a compromised position. To see this at work, stand up in bare feet wearing shorts so you can see your shin bone and your knee. On that one leg, stand in an overly-pronated position, so the outside of your foot is almost coming off the ground. Now, watch your shin bone and knee closely as you come out of that and settle the foot more evenly into the ground. See what just happened? Your entire leg rotated from the hip.

People tend to think (including many podiatrists) that pronation or supination is simply a foot problem, and that the answer is to use orthotics to 'shim' up the foot back into a more neutral position. That will invariably and inevitably cause more problems than it remedies. The problem is not that the foot is tilted incorrectly. The problem is WHY the foot is tilting incorrectly, and that problem could be many different things. Impossible to tell without a thorough assessment.
Just curious, if you don't mind me asking, and I certainly know every case is differnt, but how long did it take you get to get to the point where your believed your postural balance was restored?

In my case, I know the initial evaluation revealed that my right hip was "tight" and I've been given a number of stretches to help loosen it up. However, since being discharged from physical therapy five/six months ago, I really haven't done much in terms of hip strengthening exercises. Just stretches. So, I feel that in addition to having tight right hip, I also have a weak right hip (maybe I'm off, but I'm guessing that hip weakness and hip tightness can be two separate things).

Anyway, if the hips are the problem, and that has resulted in posture change to the lower leg and foot, which has resulted in a strain on my right calf, I'm just curious that if I came into your facility and a comprehensive evaluation revealed the overpronation (which isn't severe) and calf issues were related to weak hips, what kind of timeframe once must consider or be looking at in terms of trying to correct the misalignments caused by the hips. Are we talking something like 6-8 weeks? 3-6 months? A year? Year plus?
tennis_tater is offline   Reply With Quote