View Single Post
Old 08-26-2012, 09:18 PM   #208
nadalex
Rookie

so ive spent an awfully long time with these strings in my frame and here are my findings

Full set or hybrid

full

Tension used for playtest

50 lbs

Regular string set up

discho iontec at around 50 lbs

Racquet brand and model used for test

Head Youtek Prestige Pro

Power of test string

this was not the best part of the string it was incredibly low powered allowing for huge cuts on the ball. Although after nearly 7 hrs the power level had bumped up quite a bit but the control factor had also lowered so I wasnt too happy about that

Feel

this was one of the best aspects of the string. This 4g was a very soft string that shone at net and on touch shots. My volleys were good with nice depth and feel and i felt i could really punch volleys with no fear. Also dropshots were sweet i could feel the string gripping the ball on the backspin shots

Spin

This was also not one of the best parts of the string. Spin was good but for a poly it was lacking. I had no fear of missing due to the low power but the spin didnt help much in keeping balls from going long or making them dive down. Backspin however worked well with slices and dropshots. This was a result of the soft feel.

Comfort

For a poly, and a luxilon poly in that this string was very comfortable. I have played with a wide spectrum of polys and i can say this is amongst the softest most forgiving polys. I felt no arm or shoulder pain however early on my wrist was aching from the low powered aspect but i felt better after the break in period and i later felt no pain

Durability

tension maintenance wise this string was great and didnt lose much tension after the initial drop. I was very surprised after using previous luxilon offerings. This string ewas good from start to finish. Also the string didnt break even after 15 hrs of use. MY usual string breaks at 13 hrs on average.

Tension maintenance (how long before it became too loose or unplayable)

the string loosened up noticeably at 15 hrs and thats why ive chosen to post my review now at the 15th hr of play

Control (predictable trajectory? performance on different strokes and swing speeds?)

control was sweet. I was never scared i would miss and i was able to take monsterous cuts at the ball. I had so much confidence out on court with this string and I think i need to purchase a set in the future just to relive the happiness i felt from the huge control

Compare to the string you use most often

compared to my reference string this string is about as soft, lower powered, has equal tension maintenance, more control, less spin, less touch/feel and is slightly more durable

Tension recommendations (after hitting it, would you recommend a different tension? Why?)

I was happy with 50 lbs but for more power I would suggest going down to even 45 lbs

Summary: List 1 or 2 primary likes and dislikes.

likes- control, tension maintenance, feel

dislikes- power, spin
Clarke Poly Power Pro 16L #50
nadalex is offline   Reply With Quote