View Single Post
Old 08-27-2012, 06:52 AM   #212
The Wreck
Semi-Pro

Full set or hybrid: Full Set

Tension used for playtest: 50 pounds. Stringing notes: It was a bit of a pain, but nothing out of the ordinary for a poly. Lots of coil memory and kinking. Very smooth texture though, so weaving crosses wasn't bad at all.

Regular string set up: Always testing new things. Usually polyester strings. Last was the string from the Solinco play test.

Racquet brand and model used for test: Head Youtek IG Prestige Pro

Power of test string: It required a full swing, but there was definitely a good amount of power there. You were rewarded for really going after the ball, I thought. Slower and shorter swing types probably got more of the low-powered feel of most polys. I had no trouble getting good depth on the ball with the 4G, something that did happen with the Solinco polyester I last tested.

Feel: Very crisp. This is the trait I desire most in a new string. It wasn't overly stiff, but didn't feel mushy either. Just crisp and solid. Also had a bit more feel at the net then I get from most polys.

Spin: Average. Not as much as some textured polys I've used like BHB7 or BHSR. I had to give it a little extra spin on the second serves and some groundstrokes to keep it in the court.

Comfort: I'm not overly sensitive to things like this, but it felt plenty comfortable to me. Definitely not the most forgiving on shots outside the sweet spot, but that could be just as much a function of the racket I use.

Durability: Seemed like it would last a long time. In the time I put on it, I noticed no notching. Every Luxilon string I've tried has been great in the durability department. As a string breaker, I wouldn't worry about 4G breaking on me frequently.

Tension maintenance (how long before it became too loose or unplayable): Never got to that point for me. I was actually glad when it loosened up a bit.

Control (predictable trajectory? performance on different strokes and swing speeds?): No complaints here. It didn't balloon the ball off the forehand side like some strings I've used in the past. I really didn't have any problems being precise with it, and with right amount of spin, depth control wasn't a problem. As a mentioned earlier, really required a full swing. If I tried to just hit a chip, slice backhand and didn't catch it just right, it had the tendency to just die off the racket.

Compare to the string you use most often: Compared to most polyester strings in general: Crisper feel, slightly less forgiving, good power with a full swing, better control and depth.

Tension recommendations (after hitting it, would you recommend a different tension? Why?): 50 is my sweet spot most of the time. Since I liked it a bit more once it loosened up, I may start it out at 48 or so.

Summary: List 1 or 2 primary likes and dislikes. Likes: Crisp feel. Good depth. Dislikes: Lack of forgiveness on off center hits.

Thanks TW and Luxilon for another great play test!