View Single Post
Old 08-27-2012, 09:23 AM   #215
DANMAN
Professional

Full set
Tension used for playtest: 55lbs.
Regular string set up: Luxilon Big Banger ALU Power 16L at 55lbs.
Racquet brand and model used for test: Babolat Pure Drive Standard 2012 in stock form
Power of test string: I'd say this string is medium powered for a poly. It has good pop but doesn't seem to have that rebound snap off the strings that I find ALU to have. I think that is one of the reasons ALU is so unique. It has more predictable power from shot to shot than ALU. I find that I could get expected results based on swing speed. With ALU, every time I catch the sweet spot perfectly, it gets a little extra snap and pop.
Feel: I found this string had a unique feel to it. It was comfortable but crisp. It didn't feel as stiff/harsh as some of the stiffer polys like ALU. I find that string feel is unique to each playtester. I tend to like the deader response of polys and this one fits right in there with all of the better ones.
Spin: I find that this string is on par with ALU for spin. Recently, I playtested the Solinco Prototype string B and found that it offered better spin than any string I have tried to date. I am finding a bit less spin with the Luxilons, but feel that the ball penetrates a bit more. This string offers more spin than most polys and co-polys, even some of the textured and multi-sided ones. I feel like Luxilon in general is on top of the spin market.
Comfort: 4G really excels in the comfort area for a Luxilon poly. ALU will give me some shoulder tenderness once in a blue moon. Timo occasionally felt stiff on my wrist when I used to use it. I found that the 4G played very comfortably throughout the playtest, especially when the string hit the two week mark where I find ALU just feels boardy and comfort starts to decrease. This is a clear improvement over other Luxilon strings.
Durability: I found the Durability to be excellent. It's still going strong but is about to pop at just over 2 weeks based on the notching. I will say it is likely a little less durable than ALU and Original, but it playes better for longer so the price/performance is probably a bit better all things considered.
Tension maintenance (how long before it became too loose or unplayable): this string has been playable for the life of it. I have not popped it at 2 weeks yet and haven't had the urge to cut it out. I don't believe in relative tension meters like the String Meter. I go based on feel. This string has clearly lost some tension but is still playing quite well. That's an A+ for a poly.
Control (predictable trajectory? performance on different strokes and swing speeds?): This string excels in control. The combination of good feel for a poly, great spin, and a medium amount of power leads to a sense of control over the ball when it comes to depth and angles. I find polys to have better control at high swing speeds generally; however, this string had fairly good control even when going for lower percentage shots like drop shots that depend on the combination of feel, power, comfort and control. The 4G gets an A+ in this category as well.
Compare to the string you use most often: Compared to ALU, this string compares quite well. It is a bit more comfortable, plays better for longer, has the same amount of spin, potentially a little better control at the expense of a little power on very hard hit balls. It is not so different that I'd definitely change over to it, but it will appeal to slightly different players. I could venture to say that I may prefer the 4G to the ALU if I were on the clay courts but would rather the ALU on the hard.
Tension recommendations (after hitting it, would you recommend a different tension? Why?): I'd recommend stringing it at your typical poly tension. It is too hard to adjust for variability in string type when changing tension. It's not a harsh string that requires a drop from your normal poly tension, but it would (at least for me) require a drop if I were used to using a multi, synthetic gut, or natural gut.
Summary: List 1 or 2 primary likes and dislikes.
1. Good all around performer with considerable longevity and exceptional durability.
2. The most consistent performing of all the Luxilons that I've tried over its lifetime.

Dislikes:
1. None really but digging deep...I would have preferred a bit more pop to it. I can't find a string that offers better pop with excellent control on a hard struck ball than ALU. It's just an unbelieveable combination.
2. The color is not my favorite. That's the only way I could fill in a #2.

Thanks so much for the opportunity to try this string. This string fills a unique area in the Luxilon line. It is very comparable to ALU and will probably appeal to more players overall than ALU. It outperforms Savage in all aspects. I think Luxilon is on to something with this one.
DANMAN is offline   Reply With Quote