View Single Post
Old 08-27-2012, 10:28 AM   #219
AC Tennis
Rookie

Default My review

A bit about me
Iím a 4.5 all court player, who plays primarily doubles these days. One handed backhand and just transitioning from a classic eastern forehand to a modern open stance western forehand. I string my own rackets and usually use multis but have lately been experimenting with poly hybrids.

Full set or hybrid
Hybrid with 4G in mains at 47lbs and Pro Supex Titan (17g syn gut) on crosses at 50 lbs

Tension used for playtest
See above

Regular string set up
Babolat Pro Hurricane 16g mains at 47lbs, Pro Supex Titan 17g on crosses at 50lbs

Racquet brand and model used for test
Yonex VCore 98d

Power of test string
The string itself is low powered compared to the Hurricane, and other polys Iíve used, such as Beast XP. However, as in many of the other categories, the other characteristics of this string allow me to swing faster and with more control than my normal set up. So the string itself is lower powered, but due to the control, I think I actually hit harder with it than my normal set up.

Feel
Excellent for a poly. Nothing like a multi, but still, very consistent response and enough give to allow good feel, especially on volleys. You still need to have the racket moving, but the strings give good feedback allowing me pretty good feel for a poly.

Spin
Again, the string itself is not exceptionally spinny, but due to its control, I felt that I could swing faster and still have control, so that I could impart quite a bit of spin due to my racket speed rather than the natural spin producing characteristics of the string.

Comfort
Pretty good for a poly. The string gives as you hit, but is still firm and crisp. Hard to describe, but an overall pleasant feel.

Durability
Iíve only put about 8 hours on the string so far, but seems to be durable.

Tension maintenance (how long before it became too loose or unplayable)
So far so good. After about 8 hours, I havenít noticed any drop in tension.

Control (predictable trajectory? performance on different strokes and swing speeds?)
This is where this string shines. The control was excellent. The string has properties that allowed me to swing out, increase my racket head speed and yet keep the ball in play and going where I intend to send it. Like most polys, the control is better with faster swing speeds. It tends to be boardy if you just block a ball back. So the faster you swing, the more control the string provides.

Compare to the string you use most often
Less natural power and spin, but better control and feel. And as mentioned previously, allows for more control with faster racket head speed, so power and spin come from the ability to swing faster, not the inherent properties of the string.

Tension recommendations (after hitting it, would you recommend a different tension? Why?)
I liked it at 47lbs, but would drop it down a couple pounds for a bit more power. So I would try it next time at 45lbs or so.

Summary: List 1 or 2 primary likes and dislikes.
I didnít really have any dislikes as the string was pretty good all around. I especially liked the control and feel for a poly.

As a side note, I have never before played with a Luxilon string as they seem way too expensive. After this playtest, I can see why some would pay the extra money to play with Luxilon.
AC Tennis is offline   Reply With Quote